Training required for Electronic technology and semiconductor technology are developing rapidly and in a wide range of fields. To train the next generation of semiconductor technology international talents, the college offers full English courses which is divided into two major areas: semiconductor materials and device technologies, semiconductor IC design and Micro-system Integration. The International College of Semiconductor Technology(ICST)) of National Chiao Tung University(NCTU) is committed to the development of high-end talents with global mobility. The research focuses on "semiconductor materials", "solid-state electronic devices", "high-end system packaging", "integrated circuit design" and "heterogeneous systems". In order to meet the goals of seamless integration of graduates from ICST to the industry, our doctoral thesis and master’s thesis are mainly engaged in research on advanced topics in collaboration with the industry. The curriculum designed and thesis research training emphasize that ICST graduates must have the following core competence, including core competence of expertise and core competencies of basic knowledge:
Core Competence - Expertise
- The ability to independently explore, solve problems and innovate in semiconductor technology or circuits in the next 5-10 years.
- Familiar with the characteristics of quantum physics, semiconductor physics and its applications.
- Understand the professional ability of integrated circuit process and integrated circuit design.
- Practice the principles of 3D integrated circuits, MEMS, advanced packaging and sensing devices, with the expertise of heterogeneous system integration.
- Understand the core knowledge of semiconductor critical process equipment (process equipment for lithography, diffusion, thin film deposition, and chemical mechanical polishing) and inspection equipment (film thickness, electrical, and physicochemical properties)
Core Competence - Diversified Learning
- Understand the international development trend of transnational culture and semiconductor industry, and continue to enhance competitiveness.
- The research results can be presented in a clear and professional manner in essays or briefings, and have an international perspective and the ability to understand and develop international standards.
- Participate in multinational R&D teams, with the ability to integrate information, communicate and coordinate, and fully express individual creativity.
- Compliance with engineering ethics, ethical laws and intellectual property rights.
Core Competence - International Vision
- Understanding the pulsation of the world's semiconductor-related industries.
- Chinese and English composition and presentation abilities in science and technology.
- Intercultural communication and cooperation capabilities.
The curriculum is divided into two major research areas, namely, semiconductor materials & device technologies, and semiconductor IC design & micro-system integration.
The series of courses in semiconductor materials and solid-state electronic devices focuses on semiconductor technology in the post-Moore era, including topics related to More Moore and More than Moore. The More Moore theme focuses on the development of related device technologies for next-generation nano-electronics scaling. Semiconductor materials, such as sub-5nm electronic device technology, and More than Moore is the electronic device technology that focuses on application and system orientation, such as quantum devices, power devices.), sensors or bio chips, and so on.
Semiconductor chip design and micro-system integration series courses focus on "device level circuit design research" and "system level circuit architecture" for applications such as IoT, 5G mobile communication, smart robots, artificial intelligence computing and deep learning technology, biomedical electronics, etc. The circuit design of the device level is based on the circuit technology to fully utilize the characteristics of the electronic devices to achieve a high-performance integrated circuit; the system-level circuit architecture design will target the system application and process packaging technology, develop key circuits, and implement system performance analysis to achieve system wafer and heterogeneous system integration. The core courses in the main basic circuit design field are "digital integrated circuits" and "analog integrated circuits". The course enables students to explore basic design techniques and understand circuit theory. Equipped with basic knowledge, students can select advanced courses, including memory circuits, system design, RF communication system amplifier design overview, low-power digital circuit design, MMW communication transceiver design, etc. The series of courses leads to the acquisition of the latest "device level circuit design research" and "system level circuit architecture development".
ICST Core Course (Mandatory)
|Semiconductor materials and solid state electronic devices||Semiconductor wafer design and microsystem integration
- Semiconductor Physics and Devices (I)
- Semiconductor Processings
- Digital Integrated Circuit
- Analog Circuit Design
Other Elective Courses
|Semiconductor materials and solid state electronic devices||Semiconductor materials and solid state electronic devices
- Power Semiconductor Devices: Device Design, Characteristics, and Reliability
- Basics of Quantum Integrated Circuits
- Liquid Biopsy (I)
- More Than Moore Devices
- Intro. to Compound Semiconductor Device & Process
- Special Topics on Semiconductor Devices and Applications
- Advanced Electronic Materials Science & Engineering
- Reliability and Failure Physics of Semiconductor Devices
- Transport Model of Quantum Devices
- Semiconductor Devices and medical systems
- Heterostructures and Spintronic Devices
- Semiconductor Material and Device Characterization
- Introduction to Amplifier Design for Radio-Frequency Communication Applications
- Memory Circuit and System
- Digital Signal Processing for Communication Systems
- VLSI Digital Signal Processing
- Terahertz Systems
- Introduction to CMOS Circuit Design
- Chip Design and Circuit Simulation
- Low Power IC Design
- Transceiver Design for mmW Communication
Please refer to the Division of Curriculum website for the course regulations applicable to the incoming academic year for master's and doctoral programs.